Although it is very difficult to predict exactly how long this process will take until the individual circumstances of each matter are obtained, Now Legal LLP’s fees for LPAs are £450.00 (plus VAT) per type of LPA registered or £650.00 (plus VAT) for one person having both LPAs prepared. Straightforward LPAs would take between 2 to 3 hours work. In addition, there is a court application fee of £82 per LPA. For LPAs which are not straightforward and require additional unexpected work our fees will be based on an hourly rate of £260 (plus VAT).
Circumstances which would mean a LPA would not be straightforward and costs will be based on an hourly rate are:
- Dealing with issues relating to capacity
Disbursements referred to above:
- £82 court application fee per LPA
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as the court. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process but would request funds on account. Occasionally there may be a change in the amount of disbursements we carry out on your behalf. Where such changes arise, you will be notified.
Potential additional costs
Potential additional costs
- £35 (plus VAT) per additional certified copy LPA
- From £25 (plus VAT) for work done in obtaining confirmation of capacity
- A medical expert’s opinion (variable – an estimate would initially be obtained)
How long will this take?
On average and from the time of taking instructions, drafting an LPA can be dealt with within an hour. Typically from sending the LPA(s) to the court and receipt of the registered LPA(s) takes 8 to 12 weeks. However, each matter has its own separate circumstances and these time-scales are dependent upon having all the correct information to hand, taking into consideration any amendments or alterations to original instructions and no issues arising by the court.
What we do
As part of the process we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced LPA solicitor to work on your matter
- Attend upon you to discuss your requirements and advise you accordingly on the purpose and process of making either or both a Property and Financial Affairs LPA or a Health and Welfare LPA
- Take your instructions to enable drafting your LPA(s)
- Draft your LPA(s), go through the completed document(s) with you and obtain relevant signatures
- Once complete to forward the LPA(s) to the court for registration
- Liaise with you throughout and keep you updated on progress
- Respond to any queries and concerns in the process and deal with any amendments as required
- Provide you with a certified copy of each
- Store your original LPA(s) safely and securely at our offices free of charge.
The LPA Team
Contact details for our LPA team can be found on the “Meet the Team” page
Christopher joined us in 2020 as a Private Client Consultant having specialised for many years in Wills, Trusts, Probate, and Powers of Attorney. Christopher is a full member of STEP and always seeks to reassure clients whatever their concerns.
Having worked as a solicitor for nearly 40 years Ian has a wealth of legal knowledge and practical experience enabling him to handle complex legal issues. His specialist areas are Employment and Property Law. He also spent many years sitting as an Employment Judge.